|Senior Technology Analyst - Vice President
||Jan 2005 - present
||Goldman Sachs, London
|European Backup Systems Administrator for Goldman Sachs
||Jul 2004 - Dec 2004
||Parasol IT, London
Initially a six month contract position at Goldman Sachs via the umbrella company Parasol IT. Then converted to a permanent employee at Goldman Sachs.
A member of the Infrastructure Applications team for two years, responsible for the European backup systems (NetWorker), job scheduling (AutoSys) and server monitoring systems (Hawk/Netcool). Moving into the Storage team in Aug 2006, responsible for the European backup systems, Storage Area Network (McData/Cisco), EMC based storage systems and NetApp filers.
- Global technical lead and subject matter expert for the NetApp production environment.
- Co-designed and developed the global storage alerting system used to monitor NetApp, Symmetrix and Hitachi Data Systems.
- Technical lead during an eight month project to completely refresh the London backup and restore infrastructure. The solution involved deploying two expanded IBM 3584 UltraScalable Tape Libraries across two data centres with an ADIC Scalar 1000 for legacy tape restores. EMC NetWorker was used to control the backup system.
- Technical lead and project manager for two London SAN related projects. 1) To replace Cisco MDS 9509 directors with Cisco MDS 9513 directors in the SAN core. 2) To migrate the cross site SRDF fabric from McData directors to Cisco MDS 9513 directors. Both projects were successful with no production impact.
- European technical lead on a global project to outsource NetApp level 1 support to offices in India. This involved developing global standards and producing detailed documentation for a wide range of support tasks such as system installation, troubleshooting, vfiler failover and provisioning of vfilers/volumes and qtrees.
- AutoSys Job Management.
- EMC CLARiiON and Symmetrix DMX storage arrays.
- NetApp filers (clustering, capacity management, configuration, vfiler dr, NFS and CIFS).
- 24/7 On call duties.
|Senior Systems Administrator
||Jul 2003 - Jul 2004
||Claranet UK, London (Claranet purchased Netscalibur UK in July 2003)
||Jul 2000 - Jul 2003
||Netscalibur UK, Docklands (Netscalibur purchased Direct Connection in July 2000)
||Aug 1999 - Jul 2000
||Direct Connection, Blackheath
Working in a team of systems administrators for an Internet Service Provider. Responsible for hundreds of servers, covering services such as backup systems, DNS, FTP, mail, news, network monitoring and web servers. Servers range from Sun Cobalt RaQs to Sun E4500s and Intel based servers running Microsoft Windows, FreeBSD and Linux. Programming mostly in Perl and shell with some C.
- Unix and Microsoft Windows system administration.
- System design, development, implementation and maintenance.
- Primary architect and administrator for LEGATO NetWorker backup system deployed across two data centres. Consisting of one server and one storage node backing up hundreds of servers running various Operating Systems. Developed various reporting scripts using Perl.
- Developed DNS architecture consisting of master, slave and cache servers. Implemented a zone file management system written in Perl using a well defined API which allows interaction via a web interface, command line scripts or directly via the billing system.
- Developed corporate instant messaging system using Jabber. Custom authentication backend and user management written in Perl.
- Implementation and support of mail infrastructure for tens of thousands of customers.
- Supporting shared web servers for thousands of customers on both Windows/IIS and Solaris/Apache platforms.
- Producing web interface tools using Perl, for both customers and support staff.
- Hostmaster role (RIPE and DNS management).
- Supervising junior staff.
- Security maintenance.
- 24/7 On call duties.
- Access to Global Switch, Telehouse and SunGard data centres in Docklands.
||Dec 1997 - Sep 1998
||Soft Options UK Limited, Kingston-upon-Thames
- Web site maintenance and administration
- Developing Active Sever Pages and Perl scripts
- Database programming
- Working on large corporate Web sites
||Course MR-1CP-SPERET: Symmetrix Performance Workshop
||Operations Manager 3.7, Protection Manager, and Provisioning Manager (OPSMGR)
||Data ONTAP NFS Administration
|Data ONTAP CIFS Administration
||Data Protection and Retention
|Fundamentals of Performance Analysis
||Data ONTAP Fundamentals
|New Horizons Computer Learning Centers
||ICND - Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices
|Microsoft Official Curriculum courses
||Course 2154: Implementing and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Directory Services
||Course 2126: Managing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Environment
||Course 2153: Implementing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure
||Course 2150: Designing a Secure Microsoft Windows 2000 Network
||Course 2151: Microsoft Windows 2000 Network and Operating System Essentials
||Course 2152: Implementing Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional and Server
|RIPE NCC Local Internet Registry training course
||Policies and procedures surrounding IP address allocation and assignment